At a meeting of sixteen ladies, on April 15, 1917, at the home of Mrs. O.C. Olman in Princeton, Wisconsin, the Woman's Club Princeton was organized. It also joined the Federation of State Women's Clubs.
Quoting from an article by Mary Ellen Pourchot (a freelance writer)
"The Woman's Club Princeton in Green Lake County typifies the broader-scoped Woman's Club. In 1917, the year of the self-starting automobile, larger brimmed hats, high-button shoes, and America's entrance into World War I, a group of Princeton ladies formed their club with the motto: 'For service and not for self'. The organization soon became the club in town. "'We always dressed in our best and wore little gloves and a hat to meetings,' one member recalls. ‘You’d think we were going to meet the Queen of England.'"
The club, always interested in civic affairs, sponsored the first Mother's Day in Princeton on May 13, 1917. Through the cooperation of the different pastors, there were special Mother's Day sermons in nearly every church in the city. For many years, the club had a Mother's Day program on the second Monday in May, inviting all mothers of members as guests.
In 1921, the club took up the project of improving the West Side Cemetery, which was one of the most neglected spots in the city. $500.00 was raised by having food sales, apron sales, card parties, dinners, etc. Once the project was started, hearty cooperation was received from everyone in the city and surrounding territory. The first Cemetery Day was May 16, 1921. Each member donated one or more plants, and all went over to set them out. There were also many donations from friends. For about five years, the club maintained and cared for the cemetery, and Cemetery Day was an annual event until the city took it over.
In October 1935, the Girl Scouts were organized. This was a project of the Child Welfare Committee of the Woman's Club.
The Woman's Club organized the first Princeton Public Library on March 11, 1933, with 110 books borrowed from the Wisconsin Free Library Commission and a few books donated by club members and other citizens.
For the first time, the club nominated a candidate, Mrs. Hilbert Krueger, for the Theodora Youman's award for her work with fluoridation.
In 1959, Mrs. John Hotmar, a club member, was named winner of the “STATE THEODORA YOUMAN'S AWARD” for her welfare work.
Mrs. Harry (Lorraine) Cederholm, on April 28, 1984, was honored "For the Most Notable Contribution by a Wisconsin Woman" by the Wisconsin Federation of Women's Clubs as she received the Theodora Youman's award for 1984, a citizenship award, at the annual state convention in Neenah. Lorraine's influence is felt in many areas, however, her main thrust had been to obtain a new library for Princeton!
January of 2010 the club held its annual bowl-a thon for Cerebral Palsy and purchased Pediatric bags for the Princeton ambulances. The Princeton Woman’s Club raised $1200.00 to use for the purchase of 2 Pediatric Bags. The club was recognized for this at the 2011 State Convention held in Tomah, WI.
After a humble beginning in a gracious lady's parlor on April 15, 1917, the Woman's Club Princeton , has seen both growth and decline in membership, but remains strong in its commitment to its motto "For Service and Not for Self". The Club still maintains its goal of "intellectual improvement and work along civic lines for our community, our state, and our nation".